Thursday, July 30, 2015

Disciplining a 1 year old...

How in the world do you teach a child (in a loving manner) that biting and hitting are not appropriate.  So first let me tell you the background...Landry is only hitting and biting me.  He will push my husbands face away if he goes in for a kiss and Landry doesn't want it.  But out of nowhere, Landry and I could just be playing nicely and he goes to hit me or bite me.  He mostly does it out of no where...but if I'm near him when he's having a temper tantrum, he will possibly go to bite or hit.  What I have been doing is sternly saying "NO BITE/HIT!" and I'll place him on the "naughty step".  And after about 1 minute, if he wants to get up he has to "say" sorry by giving me a hug or kiss.  From what I have been reading, I should be showing him what is acceptable behavior versus the behavior he is doing.  I haven't come up with one for biting yet, but if he goes to hit me in the face, I'll say "No HIT!...do you want to high five?" and then I'll place my hand up and he'll high five me.  That has actually been working for us.  The biting though, that's a different story, and dude...he bites HARD.  It actually has left me bruised, and I'm surprised he has not broken skin yet. 


Do you guys have any experience with this?  Is it something they out grow?  How did you deal with it?  I am not for spanking or screaming my head off.  I want him to know that his behavior is unacceptable but that he can freely express his emotions.  For example, when he's older and can talk, I want him to feel comfortable saying "I'm mad/sad/scared/anxious" or whatever he might be feeling.  But for now, I know that he's frustrated and biting is a way of showing his frustration.  The good thing is he doesn't bite or hit other children, so I'm thankful for that. 


Let me know if you guys have any ideas for me! Thanks! xxoo



No comments:

Post a Comment