Thursday, December 4, 2014

11 ways to make your life happier

Some of these ideas might seem silly while others are more serious and require a bit more focus, but I promise, they all have worked for me. I hope they work for you too! 

1. Get off of social media for awhile. 
     - Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc have become addictions that we tie our lives to for false fulfillment. When we scroll for minutes/hours and subject ourselves to words, images, and ideas that we didn't intend to, we are allowing negativity to creep in without even being aware of it. I know you saw a picture of a child dying of cancer, or a dog being starved, and in some cases those pictures are tied to corrupt accounts. It's a waste of time and taking a break from social media and focusing on the people and things around you can totally change your mood. 

2.  Distance yourself from your stressors.
     - Do you know what is causing you stress? Is it your job? Is it your kid? Is it your spouse? If it's any of those things, take a few hours and get some quality "me" time in. Take a vacation day, go for a walk, go to dinner with a friend. When you don't get a break you will break. Sometimes just a cup of coffee with your mom or a trip to target with your sister can change your attitude and when you reunite with whatever or whomever was making you feel stressed you will feel refreshed and grateful. 

3. Help out when and wherever you can. 
     - For me, personally, money is tight. So I can't donate money as much as o would like to. And being a new mom leaves little time for me to volunteer somewhere. So, when I'm at work and I have finished my tasks, I will go around asking if there is anything I can help with. It's not a huge deal and it's not changing the world, but to the person I am helping, it's changing their world. Whether it means they won't have to work late or they can get a project done faster, it's something and it makes me feel good to be able to share my expertise. 

4. Get some fresh air.
     - I used to be a smoker...EW. For how gross that is, the one thing that I truly miss about smoking is the fact that I would go outside and just be taking a break. You don't have to be a smoker to go outside and get some fresh air for 10 minutes!

5.  Look at something beautiful. 
     - The reason that a popular screen saver background is a picture of a tropical island is because it stimulates good feeling chemicals to be released in your body. So take a minute, go stare at the green fields of Ireland, or the snow capped Rocky Mountains. Hey...just go look out your window, I bet it's not too difficult to find something beautiful in your view. 

6. Sing.
     - Even if you can't carry a tune in a bucket, who cares? Turn on that jam that makes you feel like a rock star and belt out the lyrics. 

7. Smell something delightful.
     - My favorite smell in the world is probably funnel cake. It just takes me back to my childhood of going to the carnivals and seeing the lights and rides and hearing the bells and whistles of the games. It just makes me happy! Do you have a favorite flower or fruit? But a candle or room spray in that scent and sniff your way to a better mood. 

8. Surround yourself with funny people. 
     - Did you ever leave a lunch or dinner with a friend and your cheeks hurt from laughing so hard? Schedule more time with that person. Did you ever watch a YouTube video so funny you watched it twice? Subscribe to that person. Laughing is good for the soul. 

9.  Read a book. 
     - The fastest and cheapest way to escape reality is opening a book. It is relaxing and a book can take you ANYWHERE. 

10. Give your worries to God. 
     - The biggest lesson I learned in life so far is that worrying is a waste of time. Our problems are so small if you compare them to how big Gods love is for us. There is nothing that God can not do. He is all powerful and is always good. Rest and relax in knowing that He can make good come from any negative situation on your life. If you need help remembering this truth, go to church, one that you feel drawn to, not one that bores you. Find a mentor, or an encouraging friend. Sign up for daily devotionals, my favorites are the ones written by Joyce Meyer. 

11. Pray. 
     - In my life I find that if I just take the time to say or write down my prayers, I feel calmer, lighter, and happier. It's not our burden to carry, God has and always will have your back.







No comments:

Post a Comment