Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Love is NOT a feeling, Love IS an action

     I feel so free in stating that I am no longer a people pleaser. I've struggled way too long in trying to figure out how as a Christian woman am I supposed to love everyone if I don't even like everyone?  I finally have found a balance in this dilemma that I feel is worthy enough to share with you.  It's not without God leading me to this conclusion so I'm sharing this with a thankful heart, mind, and spirit.  You, reading this, will have a different outlook, view, or opinion, and that's okay.  See, God loves variety, that's why he made us all so different, down to our very fingertips.  So I encourage you to apply this to your life in any way that makes sense to you and not just assume that I know what's best for everyone, because I certainly don't.
     How freeing is it to know that you don't have to like everyone?  We are human. You also do not have to like someone to love them.  That sounds counterintuitive, I know, but hear me out.  Love is not a feeling, love is an action.  What does that look like?  When I think of "love" and God, I think of 1st Corinthians, "Love is patient.  Love is kind." When you are patient with someone, you are loving them.  You can be patient with someone you don't like, yet that is showing love.  Does that make sense?  Sometimes I feel like I'm talking (typing) in circles.  Also, when you feel like saying something hurtful or spiteful yet you choose to say something kind instead, that is a loving action.  Just plain courtesy is a loving action, and you can certainly show courtesy to people that you don't necessarily like, yet that is still showing love.  This type of love is godly love, also know as agape love.  The defintion of agape love is unconditional love that is always giving.  If you think you'll still have a hard time showing love like this to someone you don't like, there is something you can do.  You can pray about it.  Ask God for help to show loving actions to the people you dislike and pray for their welfare. 
     There is so much growth in this.  If you truly don't like a person, yet you can show them these loving actions, than you have something to be grateful to God for, because He is giving you the grace to show these loving actions.  More than just showing these actions, this gives us an opportunity to actually get to the know the person you dislike.  As another human, you know that they have burdens and weaknesses in their lives as well.  We all are struggling with something.  Perhaps showing these acts of love will open up a door that otherwise would have been slammed shut.  God brings people into your life for a reason.  Let this be the first step in letting them in and figuring out why God brought this person into your life. 
     I hope this was helpful and I hope that some aspect of this touches your life.  I know that it has helped me feel so free of trying to be a perfect Christian and like everyone when not everyone is very likeable at times.  Thanks for taking the time to read my blog, writing soothes my soul and I'm so glad you are a part of that.  Peace and Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment