Thursday, July 11, 2013

Intralipids...what are they?

My doctor has prescribed me to have a treatment of intralipids done before my FET (again if I get pregnant I will continue this treatment up to 20 weeks of pregnancy).  Intralipids are delivered intravenously (through an IV), usually somewhere in your arm. It is said that intralipids help to suppress the activity of NK cells in the uterus, thus preventing rejection of the embryo(s).   My treatment took about 3 hours for it be absorbed into my body.  I'm assuming that the usual treatment is that you go to an infusions center and have the IV placed and then you stay there for the treatment, they take the IV out and you go home.  However, I was able to go to the infusions center, have my IV placed, and then go home.  I later had my little sister come over to take my IV out.  The process is quick and doesn't involve too much pain (of course you are being pricked with a needle).  In my case, my nurse went right through my vein the first time and she had to go in again somewhere else.  Other than that minor mishap, the process was easy peesy!  It was also great that I was able to be in the comfort of my own home while waiting for this ball-o-lipids to get in me!


1 comment:

  1. Hi Ky. What was your HLA DQa test result? Did you have a match that's why you had to do intralipids up to 20weeks. My NK cells activity is elevated but we're still waiting on our HLA DQa result. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete